Sourcing fresh produce locally, in an ethical way for use in the kitchens, is first prize for the chefs at The Oyster Box. The closer to home the food is produced, the fresher it is, the less packaging is involved, the more sustainable it is for the producer and the better it is for guests. A win-win all-round!
In July The Oyster Box is hosting the first KZN Food Heroes Dinner, when they will salute the artisan food being produced in the province. Every item on the menu has been sourced from a local artisan producer who is a master at their craft and understands the raw materials with which they work.
The team are thrilled to source ingredients from the following KwaZulu-Natal suppliers:
- Cured meats from Esposito in the Kamberg Valley are created from pigs fed on milk, cereals and acorns. With no growth hormones or antibiotics, Brett Molle and Franco Esposito’s specialities are made according to time-tested Apennine traditions. No flavourants, colourants or ‘meat stretchers’ are used in their products.
- Producing approximately 5000 fish per annum, Wayfarers Trout is raised and cold-smoked on the farm in Dargle and delivered within three days of being caught.
- Award-winning Dargle Ducks in the Midlands of KwaZulu-Natal, has created a ‘duck heaven’ for their open range ducks, which shows in the quality of the product they produce.
- We are incredibly lucky to have the likes of Dargyle Valley Pork right on our doorstep, producing pork products of the highest quality.
- To end our KwaZulu-Natal food feast we’ll be serving a baked cheesecake, made with farm fresh smooth cottage cheese from Chrissie’s Country Cheese in the Midlands.
Abingdon Wines are the perfect partner to accompany each course on the menu. This family run boutique cellar in the Natal Midlands, offers pioneering wines, that reflect the unique terroir and climate in which they are grown. All grapes are grown, hand-picked, pressed, aged and bottled on the farm.
Make your booking and join us in celebrating KwaZulu-Natal’s Food Heroes:
Date: Wednesday, 23 July
Time: 19h00 – 23h00
Venue: The Pearl Room at The Oyster Box
Price: R 475 per person