Paula Stakelum, Ashford Castle's Executive Pastry Chef, makes the most delectable scones which feature in the Castle's Afternoon Tea. Follow the recipe below to re-create this treat for you and your loved ones.
Don't forget to tag us on Instagram @AshfordCastle, to share your scones with us!
Makes 10 - 12 scones
- 450g TT5 flour or similar (white bread flour)
- 96g salted butter (softened to room temp)
- 15g baking powder
- 80g caster sugar
- 140g raisins (soaked using 5ml of apple juice)
- 1 whole egg
- 220ml buttermilk
- Place the plain flour, baking powder, caster sugar and softened butter (not liquid) into a mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients until all the butter is combined.
- Strain the raisins to remove the excess juice.
- Add the raisins, eggs and then the buttermilk to the mixture.
- Mix until all is well combined.
- Roll out the mixture until it is roughly a 18mm thickness.
- Cut with 55'' cutter (you can use the rim of a standard glass if you don’t have a cutter).
- Bake at 170℃ (340F) for 15 - 20 minutes.