Maitre’ d of The Grill Room at The Oyster Box in Durban, Hendry Pakiri has been making crêpes for over 30 years. In fact he still uses the same copper pan that he used all that time ago to conjure up his famous Crêpes Suzette dessert, which is made with great style and elegance at each diners table.
Here, Hendry shares his recipe for the perfect Crêpe which has brought delight to many guests over the years:
To make the Crêpes:
150g Cake flour
¼ teaspoon Salt
30g Butter, melted
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and eggs.
2. Gradually add the milk to the mixture, stirring to combine.
3. Add the melted butter and beat until smooth.
4. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat.
5. Pour the batter into the pan – use approximately a quarter of a cup for each crêpe – then tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the pan evenly.
6. Cook the crêpe until the bottom is light brown, then turn over and cook until light brown on both sides.
7. Repeat the process until all the batter has been used.
4 Small bananas
Juice of one orange
Juice of half a lemon
15ml Castor sugar
45ml Dark rum
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
2. Peel and halve the bananas.
3. Add the bananas to the butter and fry briskly for 2 minutes then turn it over and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add both the juices and the sugar.
5. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the juice has reduced to light syrup (approximately 2 minutes).
6. Pour in the rum and set alight immediately. Be careful of the flaring flame.
7. Give the pan a shake and as soon as the flame burns out, spoon the bananas and syrup into the desired serving plate or bowl.
8. Serve with a generous helping of vanilla ice-cream or alternatively with frozen yoghurt, fresh cream or mascarpone cheese.
Do you have a dessert recipe which you think stands the test of time or that family and friends always request? If so, don’t miss the opportunity to show off your own culinary skills by bringing along your own dessert recipe when you dine for lunch or dinner at The Oyster Box during the month of March.
The best dessert will be chosen by our team of professional chefs and the winner will receive a dinner for four people in The Grill Room. We’ll also put you in the spotlight by adding the winning dessert on The Ocean Terrace menu for the month of April.